Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Kamusta mo?!

I am doing so great, just happy as can be here in Bohol! I love all of the fun surprises each week here in the Philippines (my personal favorite this week: when I went to the bathroom, only to find that there was no toilet paper, but just a ladle and a bucket of water. I will not expand on that story haha). 

I have completely fallen in love with the people! To be honest, most people here in the Philippines come from extremely humble circumstances. Their homes are literally a tin roof with some bamboo walls and they live from paycheck to paycheck, doing their best to make it. But they are so kind and so loving and giving! Maybe they're too kind because if we are tracting they will always let us come in and share a message even if they have no interest what soever haha. But also, the people here are SO FUNNY! They can't really pronounce my last name "Lauck", so they always say "Luck". And they crack themselves up telling me "Sister Luck, we are so 'luck'y to have you in our home" and various other really corny puns. Haha I love it! But perhaps the thing I love most about the Filipino people is their enthusiasm for karoake. It doesn't matter how poor a family is, somehow each home has a karoake machine. And boy, are they proud of their karoake. Whenever they sing, they make sure they crank up the volume as loud as possible so EVERYONE in the neighborhood hear them sing as worst as humanly possible hahaha I get the biggest kick out of them! Good thing Simon Cowell isn't here or he would rip them to pieces. But really, my ears almost bleed when I hear them sing, they are just the absolute worst! But I love that they just belt out each song with all of their heart, I gotta give them that (:

So I obviously I love the people. And I love the Philippines. But most of all, I LOVE my calling! It is so neat each week to try and help people come closer to Christ. I literally get to witness miracles each week. I can honestly say that I have never been happier in my life than I am now. I know that my happiness is because of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It really brings infinite and eternal happiness into my life! It is true and restored and I know that everyone can have the same happiness that I have as they live its principles. When everything else fails in life, the Gospel is always there. How great is that! Anyway, love you all so much! Enjoy normal food and hot showers for me (and toilet paper too) (:

Lots of love,
Sister Lauck

P.S. Here's my comp and I , Sister T, doing a service project - aka cutting grass with a machete in the jungles of the Philippines! It was awesome, but I recommended to the family that they look into a automatic lawn mower haha those are a little more efficient (:
We are not sure if we should worry about Sister Lauck cutting herself or breaking her Teeth!

No comments:

Post a Comment